The American College – M B A
The American College is one of the institutions in higher education known for its focus on academic excellence and social relevance. Its pioneering role in the development of college autonomy in India, its successful beginning of Choice Based Credit System and its completion of 137 years of higher education bear testimony to the position that the college currently enjoys. Originally founded by American Missionaries in 1841, The American College grew into a collegiate department in 1881. Earlier it was affiliated to the University of Madras and later it came under the jurisdiction of Madurai Kamaraj University. With its extreme sensitivity to national policies and community needs, the college has grown from strength to strength. It is one of the first set of seven colleges to be made autonomous by the UGC in 1977-1978.Today the college offers thirty one undergraduate and seventeen postgraduate programmes. There are research centres offering M.Phil., and Ph.D Programmes in various disciplines . There are other autonomous centres like Department of Applied Sciences (DAS) and Study Centre for Indian Literature in English and Translation (SCILET) receiving national and international attention. Its alumni shine as luminaries internationally as scientists, intellectuals, administrators, corporate managers, statesmen, and leaders. The College has active theatre groups, National Service Scheme and N.C.C. units that offer students a wide variety of opportunities to serve society. These activities add up to make the campus a vibrant space for developing one’s personality. The college has many tie-ups with many state, central and private industries and institutes. An MoU between the American College and Concordia College, New York enables the second year UG students of select departments to complete their degrees at Concordia College under American Transfer Programme (ATP).
VISION STATEMENT OF THE COLLEGE
To be a christian higher educational institution of global standards and reputation
• To train students to be responsible global citizens
• To impart knowledge in every discipline
• To develop in students individual competencies to meaningfully relate with the emerging global space
• To develop vibrant campus sub-cultures of pluralism, Christian inclusiveness, and aesthetic self-expression
• To imbibe in students the highest ideals of service to the poor and the marginalized
• Quality Policy Statement
• To impart knowledge of global standards with inclusive Christian values for socio-economic uplift.
American School of Business Administration’s MBA programme is offered in the Satellite Campus (Additional Campus) at Chatrapati. The Satellite Campus of the American College is located 15 KM away on Madurai – Natham Highway in Chatrapati. The 60 acre campus has been developed at the foothills of a small hillock which is a part of the Alagar Hills on the Western Ghats. The campus has been developed in eco-centric and environment friendly way in order not to disturb the rich flora and fauna found in and around the campus. The serene atmosphere of the campus is enhanced by the abundant native trees and shrubs. Natural ponds are also located inside the campus. The campus has been designed on the concept of sustainable development with more eco-friendly initiatives planned for the future. Mr. Julian Smith, a Canadian Architect known internationally has designed the buildings in the campus.
In keeping with the rural surroundings, the buildings have been built in the traditional style with verandahs and courtyards which provide ample natural ventilation and lighting inside the spacious classrooms. Adequate classrooms with computer laboratories along with a Multipurpose Resource Centre for seminars and conferences are available. The campus provides students a unique experience to get educated in sylvan and serene surroundings amidst the rural setting undisturbed by hustle and bustle of the city.
As part of its social extension programme, the College has already established Community College at the satellite campus offering vocational courses and has started undergraduate courses now to cater to students of the rural as well as cities in its satellite campus. Students have the privilege of studying in the tranquil and idyllic satellite campus. To and fro bus facility is available to the students of satellite campus on a nominal semester fee from the main campus of the College at Goripalayam, Arapalayam bus stand, Periyar bus stand, Anna nagar, and K.Pudur.
• Well ventilated and spacious classrooms
• Fully equipped laboratories
• Experienced staff
• Sylvan and serene surroundings
• Bus Facility from Main Campus at Goripalayam
American School of Business (ASBA) (formerly The Department of Management Studies) was established in 1995 and the MBA programme is being offered in a vibrant environment. The department strives to maintain an international approach to education by exploring best management practices. The department offers a full-time MBA programme with Dual Specialisation, structured as follows:
• Mandatory core courses imparted in the first year
• Advanced courses and electives offered in the second year
• Finance, Human Resource, Marketing and International Business electives offered
• Dual Specialisation on the electives permitted
• Each student to undergo a “Summer Internship” for four or five weeks during the vacation between the first and the second year
• The objective of “Summer Internship” component is to expose the students to the work environment to develop a flair for a particular field of specialization
• Students also work on a faculty-supervised project during their final semester in an area of their specialization to help gain in-depth knowledge in a specific business domain
• Placement Assistance, External Mentoring System, Corporate Learning and International Internship Assistance provided to the students
To create ethically uncompromising, professionally competent and socially responsible future leaders.
• Our mission encompasses three vital thrust areas:
• High quality educational experience to the students
• Reciprocally valuable association with the corporate world
• Helpful contribution to the betterment of the society
Best in-class management education with a strong conceptual base, values and application oriented learning, leading to the overall development of the students, creating reliable and competent managerial personnel who are ready to take on corporate responsibilities.
Purposeful consulting to solve the managerial problems of organizations based on actual requirements and thereby internalizing the learning experience for the benefit of students.
Educational and employment opportunities to all sections of the society with a view to bring about social advancement and equality.
• The distinctiveness of the two year full-time MBA programme stems from several key features:
• Regular visit of guest speakers to update students with information about current happenings in the industry
• Enhancement of entrepreneurial skills and innovation
• Personality development classes help develop robust characteristic traits in the students
• Mandatory industrial visits to help reduce the gap between the institution and the industries
• “ASBA ASSOCIATION” of the department helps students to play an active role in an organization kind of set-up, co-ordinates student activities and functions related to curriculum
• Wi-Fi Connectivity facilitates e-Learning
• International industrial visit organized once or twice in a year to give student a world wide experience
Activity based learning describes a range of pedagogical approach to teaching. Its core premises include that learning should be based on hands-on experiments and activities. It fosters self-learning and allows students to develop their aptitude and skills. Continuous industry interaction, seminars and live projects are a regular part of the curriculum. Organizational environments are simulated to sharpen the skills of decision-making, leadership and team building. Teamwork, group assignments, case studies, participation in classroom discussions and real business issues are strong features of the management programme at The American College.
The Daniel Poor Memorial Library has around 1, 60,000 books. It subscribes to 700 different journals covering a wide range of subjects. The library has an exclusive online catalogue and its open access system enables students to use the library independently. In addition to the college library, the Department of Management Studies has an exclusive library facility to meet the specific needs of the students. Every year about 1000 books on Business and Management are added, which provide an opportunity for independent study and in-depth research. Besides, the department subscribes to national and international journals. Further, the Department has DELNET connection which allows the students to access over 35 lakh records online.
The Department of Management Studies has an exclusive computer centre catering to the needs of students. This centre is equipped with latest software configurations and high speed internet connectivity.
The department has been securing placements for its students in top notch business organizations. Placement Brochure and regular contact with companies help on-campus recruitment. To enhance the placement potential, intensive programmes on “Business Awareness and Aptitude and pre-placement” are conducted for the final year students. More than 90% of the students are being placed.
Students have to work on a faculty-supervised project during their final semester in an area of their specialization to help gain in-depth knowledge in a specific business domain.
Students also have the opportunity of doing their projects in Malaysia. International project assistance will be given by Binary University, Malaysia during the fourth Semester.
Candidates with a minimum pass percentage of 50 in any degree (SC/ST 45%) or those appearing for the final year examination may apply. Valid Management Aptitude Test (MAT/ CAT/TANCET/CONSORTIUM) scores, not earlier than September 2017, along with the marks scored in the entrance test conducted by ASBA will be considered for admission.
Selected candidates shall pay of Rs.1,11,755/- in the first year and Rs.1,05,505/- in the II year as course fees. The details of the fee structure can be obtained at the time of admission.
PROCEDURE FOR APPLYING
Only Online submission of Application will be entertained. Prospectus with information brochure can be obtained from the college office on payment of Rs.500/- (Rs.250 for SC/ST candidates).
All payments are to be made online through Credit or Debit Cards, or Net Banking by visiting the website www.americancollege.edu.in.
A good living environment, outside the class room, is valued as a prerequisite for students to successfully complete the programme. The college has four men’s hostel and two women’s hostel. Separate application forms are available with the Bursar’s office for admission to hostels. Students seeking admission to the hostels should contact the Bursar’s office at the earliest.
CONDITIONS FOR DISCONTINUING THE PROGRAMME
Students who may like to discontinue the programme will be subjected to the terms and conditions stipulated by AICTE from time to time.
In the event of a student withdrawing before the commencement of the course, the entire fee collected from the student, after a deduction of the processing fee of not more than Rs.1000/- (Rupees one thousand only), shall be refunded to the student.
If a student discontinues after joining the course, the college will return the fee collected with a proportionate deduction of monthly fee.
The conduct of academic programmes under the rubric of MBA is governed by the rules and regulations of The American College, Madurai Kamaraj University and AICTE. Due care has been taken to ensure the exactitude of information. The American College reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to amend/change the terms, conditions and fee structure.
Dr. M. Davamani Christober
Principal & Secretary