The department traces its origin back to 1931 from the days it used to support the ancillary requirement of Biology/ Zoology department. It elevated itself to offer major courses in Botany from the year 1968. The Post graduate department had its inception in 1987 and became a full-fledged research department in 1993. From the teaching of conventional botany, the department opted for UGC sponsored vocationalization in Industrial Microbiology in 1998. The emphasis in the PG and UG programs at present is to give a comprehensive professional training in the field of Plant biology and Plant biotechnology.
Courses offered: B.Sc, M.Sc