In 1978 The American College formally opened the Department of Applied Science. This is an innovative, non-teaching Department of the college. It is designed to use the rich resources of College Staff and facilities in the service of the college itself and the community around it. The Department of Applied Science manages many of the technical facilities of the College, such as the computer centre, for the benefit and use of the entire College.
In 1982 the D.A.S. started the Computer Centre providing computer training for the college students and night time extension courses for outsiders.
INFRASTRUCTURE AND FACILITIES
In 1978 The American College opened the Department of Applied Science which is designed to use the rich resources of College Staff and the facilities in the service of the college itself and the community around it. In 1982 the D.A.S. started the Computer Centre providing computer training for the college students and night time extension courses for those who applied for it.
The Centre is equipped with 25 Nos. PIV and PIII IBM PC. The System has 256MB, 128 MB Main memory, 80 GB and 40 GB Hard Disk Drive and 1.44 Floppy Drive with 14 inch color Monitors. The Centre has three 3 KVA UPS with 2 hours backup. In view of the unpredictable nature of power supply, all the systems can run through Uninterrupted Power Supplies (UPS). Laser and dot matrix printers are in the centre. The provisions for on line teaching are also available.
The Center has all major language compliers like C, Fortran ,Pascal, C++, Basic, Java, C# and the major software packages like FoxPro, MS-OFFICE, Corel Draw, Page Maker, Photo Shop, Windows, Oracle 9i, Visual Studio, Flash, Tally 9 etc .
In December 2006, DAS took charge of maintaining the Central Instrumentation Centre (CIC). Instruments like X-ray unit for crystallographic studies, 3 types of Lathe, High temperature furnace and a Scanning Electron microscope are in CIC center.
The Documentation Centre has a Photo copier (Canon) machine which is fully utilized by the college and students.
Department of Applied Science, The American College collaborated with Tally India Pvt. Ltd., and started Tally Graduate Program since February 2007 for college and Jivana Jyoti students. This is a regular tie up with commerce department.
The Department of Applied Science has another phase of work like Jivana Jyoti (Light of life), is a program to bring light into the lives of the Physically challenged since 1990, and it arose out of the American College’s concern for this section of society. It trains the physically disabled in various computer skills and functional English for a year and to make them employable, self reliant and socially productive. It is in collaboration with the Educational and Development services of (India) Madras from 1990 that this project was started. In 1992 a specially designed hostel with facilities like furniture , library, recreation systems and indoor games for physically disabled was built to accommodate girls and boys.
JIVANA JYOTI in Madurai is a special Training Program exclusively for Physically Disabled persons. The present course is a one year job oriented training program in Computer Skills and Applications.
- DOS, WINDOWS and UNIX
- Introduction to MS Office (MS WORD, MS EXCEL & POWER POINT)
- VISUAL BASIC Programming & Problem Solving through ?C’
- English Language & Communications Skills – I
- MS Access
- Self Development Course
- English Data Entry
- Account & Tally
- Computer Applications, Hardware & Network
- Basics of Animation Technology
- Front Office Management & Self Development
- English Language & Communication Skills – II
- Tamil Data Entry
- Tuition Fees: Rs.200.00 per month
- Residential Accommodation Available for boys and girls. Boarding costs comes to be Rs.650/- per month (approximately)
Young People in the age group of 17 – 28 years (relaxable in special cases) Whose disability prevents them from joining customary computer training institutions. Applicants should possess sufficient vision for reading and ability to use one hand freely. Ability to cope with English as a medium of instruction is necessary. A pass / fail in Plus two (any Group) is the minimum Qualification, and Degree holders are also welcome.
Tally Graduate Program
- The basic Tally features
- Description of main features and components of Tally.
- Creation and Maintenance of company information required by Tally
- Basic features of Tally Accounting system
- Basic features of Tally Inventory system
- Advanced features of Tally
- Maintenance of bill and Invoice details and tracking receivable and payables Creation and Maintenance of cost centers
- Creation and Maintenance of multiple currencies
- Creation and maintenance of stock go downs and stock points
- Creation and maintenance of budget and scenarios
- Performing interest calculations
- Generating and printing of information statements
- System administration and house keeping features
- Creation of a company enabling VAT features
- Processing of transactions involving VAT
- Generation and printing of VAT computation and VAT forms
- Enabling TDS and Service Tax features
- Setting up master for TDS and Service Tax
- Generating and printing of TDS and Service Tax reports
- Processing of transactions involving TDS and Service Tax.
Tuition Fees: Rs.3250.00/- (72 Hrs. course)
Any students of our college can join in this course.
- DAS continues to support the academic programs of the college BCA, B.Sc., computer science, B.Sc., Physics, chemistry, M.Sc., programs and Jivana Jyoti courses by providing computer facilities for the students.
- M.A. and M.Phil., (Economics) students were trained in Statistical Software called SPSS.
- Indira Gandhi National University and PGDCA practical sessions are conducted in the computer centre.
- Certificate and Diploma courses in computer applications and computer languages are also offered to the students of various department of the college.
Dr.S.Stephen Rajkumar Inbanathan
Department of Applied Science
0452 – 2530070,
0452 – 2530967,
0452 – 2520711 – (Ext) 357
Jivana Jyoti Office
0452 – 2520711 – (Ext) 338